Sở thích: bong da
    Nghề nghiệp: hoc sinh
    Cảm ơn
    Được cảm ơn 9 lần
    trong 5 bài viết

Post Slang of the day

Tripping

Definition:
    To be under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD.
    Example:
    1) The sky looks red ? Dude, are you tripping ?
    Etymology:
    In the 1960s, many people used mind-altering drugs, and some people referred to their drug experiences as 'trips' ( or journeys ). Today the word is usually used in jest, to describe a foolish statement. When someone says something stupid or silly, you might say to them 'You must be tripping'.

Screw up
    Definition:
    To make a major mistake.
    Example:
    1) Tom screwed up the whole project, and now we're four weeks behind schedule.
    Etymology:
    This phrase comes from World War II US Army slang.

Definition:
    One who makes mistakes regularly; a failure. (Usually written as 'screw-up' when used as a noun.)
    Example:
    1) Be careful when you're dealing with Charlie -- he's a real screw-up.

Wig outDefinition:
    To go crazy; lose your mind.
    Example:
    1) Maria wigged out when she found her husband in bed with her best friend.
    Etymology :
    The idea behind the term is that so much activity is going on in your brain that your hair ( a 'wig' is artificial hair ) might jump off your head. The term can be positive too - you might 'wig out' when you hear really good music, for example.
    Synonyms :
    lose your cool, flip your wig

lushDefinition:
    Someone who drinks too much alcohol; an alcoholic.
    Example:
    1) If you're a lush, New Years must be one of your favorite holidays - because everyone wants to drink on New Years !
    2) Tom is the biggest lush I've ever seen - he always has a drink in his hand.
    Synonyms :
    boozehound, drunk

Hit the roadDefinition:
    To leave; to go home. Also used as a command meaning 'go away' or 'leave me alone'.
    Example:
    1) It's getting kind of late, so I think I'm going to hit the road.
    2) Hit the road, bub. I'm not looking for a boyfriend.
    Etymology :
    In this phrase, 'hit' refers to the physical contact between your feet and the road ( the pavement you walk or drive on ).
    Synonyms :
    skedaddle

Hit the spotDefinition:
    A phrase that means 'that was really good' or 'that was just what I needed'.
    Example:
    1) Mmmm - that cup of coffee really hit the spot !
    2) I needed a good laugh, and that slang cartoon really hit the spot.
    Etymology:
    'The spot' refers to a need you might have, like hunger. When you get some food, you have addressed or taken care of that need - or 'hit the spot'. The term is usually used for food and drink, but also for other kinds of pleasures, such as entertainment.

Ants in your pants
    Definition:
    To be nervous or anxious or jumpy; to be unable to sit still.
    Example:
    1) The children had ants in their pants, so we took them outside for some exercise.
    2) Would you please stop tapping your foot?! You must have ants in your pants!
    Etymology:
    If you had 'ants' (small insects) in your 'pants' (clothing) you would probably feel like jumping around.
    Synonyms:
    antsy

run a feverDefinition:
    To be sick, with an unusually high body temperature; to be very hot due to illness.
    Example:
    1) Jane can't go to school today. She's running a fever.
    Etymology:
    'Run' has many meanings. In this phrase, 'run' means 'to continue to have', so 'run a fever' refers to a person maintaining a 'fever' (a high body temperature).

Stink to high heaven
    Definition:
    To be disgusting or very low quality.
    Example:
    1) That barnyard stinks to high heaven.

2) Most Sylvester Stallone movies stink to high heaven -- they're just terrible!

Etymology:
    If something 'stinks', it smells bad. 'High heaven' refers to the clouds up in the sky. The idea here is that something is so bad, either to the nose or to the mind, that even the angels who live way up in the clouds are offended.

Kick your ássDefinition:
    To beat decisively; to give a severe beating; to rough someone up.
    Example:
    1) Don't mess with the bouncer unless you want him to kick your ass.

Too hot to handleDefinition:
    Difficult; hard to deal with; controversial
    Example:
    1) The editor thought the story about the president's girlfriend was too hot to handle, so he refused to print it.
    2) The line drive was too hot to handle, and the Phillies scored on the play.
    Etymology:
    'Too hot to handle' comes from baseball, referring to a ball hit so hard that it can't be caught. In this phrase, 'hot' means 'lively' or 'powerful', and 'handle' means 'take care of' or 'pick up'. The phrase is now used to describe any situation that is hard to deal with or problematic.

Up for grabsDefinition:
    Freely available; ready to be taken
    Example:
    1) After Mr. Mortimer passed away, no one could find his will, so his estate is up for grabs.
    2) I don't want my sandwich -- it's up for grabs, if anyone wants it.
    Etymology :
    When you 'grab' something, you reach for it very quickly. When something is up for grabs, it is out int he open, waiting to be grabbed by whoever wants it.

Các chủ đề tương tự trong chuyên mục này:

2. Thành viên đã cảm ơn jsvs vì bài viết này:

meiling (22-09-2011)

+ Trả Lời Ðề Tài

Quyền viết bài

• Bạn không thể gửi chủ đề mới
  • Bạn không thể gửi trả lời
  • Bạn không thể gửi file đính kèm
  • Bạn không thể sửa bài viết của mình